Send inquiries and resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org
Manage and coordinate the day-to-day operations at St. Olaf Lutheran Church’s child care center. This position is a Monday through Friday position with evening meetings with the staff as needed. This is an Exempt (salaried) position. Job Description
Director of Youth and Family Ministry
MISSION STATEMENT OF ST. OLAF EDUCATION PROGRAM
To implement, facilitate, and promote educational opportunities for the children, youth, and adults of St. Olaf Lutheran church. PLEASE EMAIL to receive the FULL JOB DESCRIPTION.
BACKGROUND CHECKS ARE REQUIRED.
The DYFM (Director of Youth and Family Ministry) will provide enthusiastic leadership for the Children, Youth and Adult Ministry Programs of the church. This role will be responsible for developing caring relationships with children, youth, adults and their families. Also, facilitating their growth in faith and involvement in the life of the church; planning and implementing educational, fellowship, and service opportunities (including mission trips); and recruiting, supporting, and training lay leaders. The DYFM will work as part of a team of staff and volunteers.
Have a strong growing relationship with Jesus Christ. Competency in Christian theology, Lutheran doctrine, and youth ministry is required. Possess the attributes of enthusiasm, sociability, maturity and motivation. A Bachelor’s degree required, in General education and/or Christian education is preferred. Two years of ministry experience in Christian Education or a related field required. Effective communication and collaboration skills with children, youth, adults, peers, and management (Pastor and Personnel Committee members) as well as strong follow-up skills. Flexible schedule, being able to workdays, evenings, and weekends as needed. High level of creativity and organizational abilities. Proficient in the use of Microsoft applications and web-based environments.
1. Able to speak in a public forum
2. Able to move freely in and out of different group settings (homes, Church, etc.)
ESSENTIAL POSITIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Select and/or develop curriculum and plan special events for children, youth, and adults. Develop, oversee, coordinate and actively participate in educational programming involving:
a. Children (pre-school through 6th grade)
1) Public school year teacher professional development days, Fun Days at church – including crafts, lessons, games and food.
2) Children’s sermon during church services
3) Other programs and activities such as Christmas program, summer VBS (Vacation Bible School) and Ignite
b. Youth (middle school and high school)
1) Regular youth group activities (preferably weekly)
2) Small group Bible studies
3) Service projects
4) Summer mission trips
5) Retreats/Lock-ins/Weekend recharges
6) Fellowship activities
7) National Youth Gathering Summer camps
8) Coordinate fundraising activities for youth activities
c. Adults and families
1) Small group Bible studies
2) Lead opportunities for learning, service and fun
2. Facilitate participation of children and youth in worship services throughout the year, including providing children’s messages, Youth Sunday services, and involving children and youth in worship in various other ways.
3. Develop meaningful, caring relationships with children, youth, adults and their families through engaging in a ministry of presence. Possess the ability to deal with sensitive issues that may arise while working with children, youth and adults, while maintaining confidentiality whenever appropriate. Advocate for children, youth, and adults.
4. Recruit and coordinate lay leaders and volunteer lay leaders involved in programming for children, youth and adults. Provide training, support, and resources for lay leaders and volunteer lay leaders.
5. Promote and effectively communicate ecumenical activities with congregation and community. Market programs and activities through bulletin announcements, newsletter articles, electronic media outlets, the church website, bulletin boards and verbal announcements.
6. Plan and oversee the annual budget and calendar for Youth and Family Ministry, including maintaining and ordering supplies.
7. Other Responsibilities:
• Participate in staff meetings. Participate in church council, YFM committee and other committee meetings as necessary• Attendance at worship services is expected • Attend local school and community activities• Supply a monthly article to the Visitor newsletter• Provide information to the weekly bulletin, web page, or social media sites as necessary.• Ensure that all volunteers are trained in Sexual Misconduct Prevention Policy• Other duties assigned as necessary
The Director of Youth and Family Ministry is open until filled. To apply for this position, submit the following information: • Letter of application• Resume• 3 References – One of which must be a pastor